Telephone: (800) 375-9006
Hours: Telephone – Monday through Friday from 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. central time
Internet – 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Created specifically as a provider of gold, silver, platinum, and palladium, APMEX serves individuals and families looking to diversify their savings or investment portfolios. The company encourages each investor to keep 10-20 percent of his or her assets invested in precious metals, such as the ones that APMEX provides, to protect each person against monetary inflation and economic uncertainty. The company’s continued success in the online precious metals business makes it a viable option.
Because of the amount of buying and selling that the company does, APMEX is able to purchase metals in larger quantities at discounted rates. This purchase allows the company to pass its savings on to customers without having to raise charges or create hidden fees. Even with these discounted purchases, APMEX does not claim to have the lowest prices for these precious metals, but it does strive to keep the shipping fees low and transparent. With this in mind, APMEX does offer competitive prices even when it does not have the lowest rates.
Products and Services
APMEX offers more than 3,500 different precious metal products that are available for sale through safe and secure online transactions. The company also updates its website three times a day with the latest transaction rates to ensure that each customer is getting the best exchanges.
Precious metal products available for purchase:
• Bullion gold, silver, platinum, and palladium, including pieces from Canada, Austria, South Africa, China, Australia, and Mexico
• Pre-1933 U.S. gold coins, including Eagles, Half Eagles, Quarter Eagles, and Double Eagles
• Silver dollars, Trade dollars, Morgan dollars, Eisenhower dollars, and Peace dollars
• A selection of gold and silver jewelry
• Bezels created with coins
• Perfect 70 coins which receive the top grades for coin production
• Commemorative coins
• Registry set coins
• Lunar coins based on the Zodiac
• Free online accounts for buying and selling, tracking orders and payments, and accessing a history of transactions
• Customer service available during telephone business hours
• A minimum 50 dollar purchase amount
• A minimum 1000 dollar sale amount
• Payment for sales of less than 5,000 dollars available through priority mail, first class mail, or bank wire
• Appointments available for in-person transactions
• Small purchases can be made by credit card
• A 3 percent cash discount when customers pay by check, money order, cashier’s check, bank wire, cash or trade (all prices online include this discount)
• Shipments made through Registered U.S. Mail, United States Postal Service, and Federal Express
• All packages are fully insured
• International transactions available
• A limited return policy
In addition to a contact and information page, which provides a number of important email address and links to frequently asked questions, APMEX encourages telephone calls and faxes to its toll-free numbers. There are also links from this page directly to feedback forms that allow testimonials, comments, suggestions, and other inquiries. The information provided in these forms promises to go straight to APMEX customer service representatives who will answer as soon as possible.
Information from the BBB
APMEX was officially accredited by the Better Business Bureau on April 29, 2004, and it has been granted an A+ rating by the organization. The BBB has raised this rating based on the increased length of time that the business has been operating, the low volume of complaints filed with the BBB in relationship to the size of the business, and the responses and resolutions of the complaints that have been filed. The majority of these complaints involved delivery and billing/collection issues, and the Better Business Bureau found that APMEX had made good faith effort to resolve the customers’ issues in most of the cases. There have been no significant government actions or issues with the company’s advertising at this time.
APMEX appears to be concerned with customer service and with shipping its high-quality goods quickly. The completely online buying and selling process certainly makes it easy to do business with this company.